Get ready for fall with these home “hacks”
By Lynn Power– CEO of J. Walter Thompson NY
For many of us, fall is the best season. With nature showing us all of her splendid colors, breathing in the cool crisp air, enjoying the fall squash and apple crisps, it’s no surprise. But fall also means preparing for colder weather and with the Covid Delta variant resurging, your home should be your sanctuary — as comfortable, cozy and nurturing as possible. Here are some ways to make your home so inviting, you won’t want to leave. Your home will become the gathering place for family and friends to get through whatever crazy weather comes our way while feeling safe and secure.
- Use home scent to create an environment that relaxes and transports you. After all, smell is one of our most powerful scents and is linked to memory. Isle de Nature’s Pagua Bay scent is intoxicating, inspired by the Caribbean island of Dominica. Invest in a few of the beeswax-blend handmade candles (they burn cleaner) and put a scent coin dipped in pure fragrance oil in every room to enhance your environment. You’ll find your environment will instantly feel more relaxing.
- Invest in a cashmere blanket. We love snuggling up in front of a fire with a good book and glass of pinot noir. Getting a soft cashmere blanket will turn this weekend indulgence into a regular routine. While you might balk at spending that much on a blanket, the comfort you’ll get out of it is worth it in our opinion. After all, we’re all about self-care these days — so important for us to recharge. And while you’re at it, sign up for PaperBack Swap, an easy and sustainable way to stay current on your reading.
- Declutter and detox. Take a day (or two) and get rid of all of the excess stuff you’ve accumulated over the years. Go through your kitchen and beauty products and ditch anything that’s expired or that you haven’t used in months. Just the process of decluttering and creating more open space will make you feel calmer and more relaxed — and we guarantee you won’t miss any of your stuff (that hopefully you’ve donated to charity). Plus this gives you the opportunity to evaluate what you’re putting in and on your body. Trade out anything with toxic ingredients for good-for-you, clean products. There are some great e-commerce marketplaces for sustainable goods like Clear Givings, Cerqular and Eleos so you don’t even have to leave your home to upgrade your beauty, food or more.
- Get a slow cooker and a rice cooker. These are both game changers. If you don’t already have a slow cooker and a rice cooker, you’re missing out. These two kitchen must-haves make it so easy to prepare wholesome, convenient meals everyone will love. It’s perfect for fall and also great gift ideas for anyone without. You’ll literally change their life.
- Install a sauna. It might sound a little extreme, but if you have the means, a sauna is a great investment in your health and your home. There are many studies that show the multiple benefits of a sauna, from cardiovascular improvements to treating skin conditions to helping pulmonary diseases and pain. There are a number of “kits” that are easy to install and you can buy online — you can get one made to work indoors or out, so chances are, you’ll be able to find the perfect spot for it. We’re pretty sure it will become a regular part of your daily routine.
- Frame some of your favorite art. Take those drawings that your kids made years ago out of storage and get them framed. Just surrounding yourself with beautiful, meaningful art and pictures is good for your soul and a reminder of what you love. Update your family pics with some recent ones (stage a photo day and have fun with it) so that you’re surrounded by images that make you happy.
These are just a few suggestions, but there are so many things you can do to create a peaceful environment. With a little bit of effort and thought, you will be able to have the inviting, nurturing home you want for the fall and winter, turning into an ideal hideaway.
About Lynn Power:
Lynn was formerly the CEO of J. Walter Thompson NY and has worked on advertising and marketing for many iconic brands throughout her career including L’Oreal, American Express and Clinique. Lynn is the Co-Founder and CEO of MASAMI, a clean, premium haircare brand with a Japanese ocean botanical that’s all about hydration and also the Co-Founder of Isle de Nature, a luxury bee-powered home fragrance company.